Monday, April 16, 2012

Not a map update

I haven't done much in the way of actual work on the map in the last few days. I think I'm going to take a few more days to relax and clear my head. I've still been experimenting with a few things that could become neat additions to the game, though. For example, I've discovered a method of allowing a single model and a single texture file to have multiple textures. If combined with one of those headless models it's entirely possible to add super saiyan hair and other cosmetic things that I've been opposed to without actually increasing the size of the map. Models that use the same base or have similar geometry (such as 19 / fat buu or Frieza / MC / Cooler / Cyborg Frieza / King Cold) could be combined to save space That's the theory, at least. I just need something I can use as a template for multiple characters without having to create a bunch of animations or alter the model's shape. If anyone knows of or can make a model like that, let me know.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:



I'm sure it doesn't look like much, but the fact that such a thing can be done in the first place could potentially add something completely unique (as far as I know) to the map. This was done with a single model and a single texture file and takes up much less space than having four seperate models and textures. And swapping the texture ingame is as easy as pushing a button. This same concept, when applied to a generic model and a head attachment system could obviously do a lot to upgrade the aesthetics of the game / characters. You could choose to have Vegeta with super saiyan hair in a pink shirt, for example. Or you could change Gohan's boring purple suit to something cooler, like the Great Saiyaman outfit or some saiyan armor. There could even be a mode / option that allows you to create your own custom character ingame using various head / body / texture combinations. I realize this is all cosmetic and we're still a ways off from actually hitting the map size limit, but I thought I'd shake things up a bit with a bit of a behind the scenes post. If anyone actually cares I'll gladly put up a demo map.

10 comments:

  1. you sir are a fucking genius

    I have always wanted transformations in this to actually change character apearance and not just their size or aura. Plus with this you could even add or create characters you could not before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Changing appearances has never really been an issue. It's just that it seemed really unnecessary to have extra head models just taking up space. If this here could save enough space to offset those heads, I see no reason to not add them.

      Delete
  2. Ive been asking for this for a while ^^

    Also, I am pretty sure other maps such as battlestadium DON have done what you're trying to do. May wanna look at that map.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know other maps have a head swapping system. I haven't seen any texture swaps.

      Delete
  3. May I suggest that no character have more than 2 blasts?

    Just make it a general rule that 2 blasts then some unique abilities is enough :/ Cell has too many! he can stun then hit u with another blast and then ur low so ur slow then u get hit again :/ it suuuuux

    ReplyDelete
  4. work with the creator DBZ ultiamte togehter then this multi skin can be easily added

    ReplyDelete