Saturday, August 9, 2014

DBZ Tribute: The sequel?

Hello, friends. If you missed the news, Valve just released a map editor for Dota 2. After reading up on it, I'm pretty excited for the future of wc3-style custom games. And being pretty invested in a few maps for it, I of course want to think long term about the future of the games and their community. With that in mind, I'm starting a project to explore the idea of bringing a map in the spirit of DBZ Tribute to Dota 2. More details to come. But here's where it gets fun: Everyone is invited. It will be a very open project. Overview:

Who's making it?
I'm not going to have enough time to do this myself. For that reason, anyone that wants to take the time to learn the tools is invited to be part of the team. Just add ikcilapmada on skype and let me know that you're interested.

What's being made?
I've got two projects in mind: One is a DBZ Tribute port and the other is developed alongside it using the same basic mechanics but in an original world.

When is the project starting?
Now.

Why Dota 2?
A few reasons:

  • The game and the editor are completely free and anyone can use them.
  • The player base for Dota 2 is currently huge.
  • Dota 2 and its editor are in constant development, whereas wc3 hasn't seen any significant updates in a long time.
  • The editor looks incredibly powerful
  • There is a very large amount of people developing content for the game.
  • There will (probably) be very few limits on the size of the map. This means a lot of highly detailed models (probably) can be added. One of the biggest issues with wc3 was trying to keep the map size under a few MB. You never really had the freedom to do a full conversion map with wc3.
  • It looks beautiful. 
Where do I sign?
Add ikcilapmada on skype and let me know who you are and that you would like to help. We'll proceed from there.

How do I get started?

2 comments:

  1. adampalicki, I am really glad you will make dbz tribute with the improved graphics and effects engine. Although I dont think i will participate in creating the new dbz tribute with the new dota 2 engine, I hope you can initiate/start this project your self first. You have all the characters and their skills developed from dbz tribute elite already so converting them over to your new dbz tribute project should not be a problem. I hope this new dbz tribute retains the same gameplay as we known in warcraft 3, pick a side, select hero, Saga spawning in chronologic order in dbz. Good luck on this project, once its release I will be one of the first to test it out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, i wish i could help you but im not so much "experienced" in this so.. wish you good luck, hope you can do it =D

    ReplyDelete